Camping season is well underway and we Gourmet Girls want to be sure that your next trip will be as restful and stress free as it can be. We know you work hard, and the first thing you want to do is relax once you get to your destination.
1) The hardest thing you do upon arrival is setting up your tent. Today there are many innovations that take the hard work out of this chore. There are several companies that sell instant-up tents. Here are a few of them.
Waterproof instant pop up, 6 person tent available on EBAY for $72.99.
Ozark Trail 10′ x 9′, 6 person pop up tent available at Walmart for $59.96
Colman Instant Up 6 person tent for $234.00
2) Don’t forget your hammock! We love the ENO brand, that folds up into a small pouch, comes with sturdy straps to loop around a tree, mosquito netting, and a rain fly. You can actually forget your tent and sleep very comfortably in one of these. Just line it with a down sleeping bag and you’re set.
Or just lay around.
This is the ultra compact accessory bag and stowed hammock.
Even Fido will love it!
3) Bring an inflatable bed. There is nothing worse than coming back to camp after a long hike and not getting a good nights sleep. Let’s face it. This is car camping, so make sure you have all of the comforts of home, or at least close to it. Gourmet Girl Denise has an adapter that fits into the cigarette lighter in her car that has an electrical outlet on it as well as another port for IPhone or IPad charging. Otherwise you can buy a battery powered air pump.
4) Don’t forget your down comforter and pillows! We like to place these items in a giant zippered plastic bag for transport. When the items are placed in the bag, zip it up two thirds of the way then lay on top of the bag to get all of the air out. Then zip the bag the rest of the way. This compresses the down and makes a more compact package out of your bedding. Items like these make the difference between a rough, cold night and one that will make you wake up singing!
5) Remember to take along the Gourmet Girls Go Camping Cookbook so that you can eat like Kings and Queens under the stars!
Gourmet Girl Denise will be doing a food demo and talk at Porch, a wonderful store in Carpinteria on Wednesday July 18th! NEWS FLASH! This event is sold out!
Have a wonderful summer and Bon Appetit!